Episode 018: You Can’t Be Everything To Everyone
Hey lady! Today we’re going to talk about niching down. Now, if you’re still trying to be everything to everyone, how is that working for you?
I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but in order to get more results, you actually need to narrow your focus. Yes, it’s tempting not to because you want to get more sales and it seems more logical that if you want to get more sales, then you need to offer more services and help more people but that isn’t the case.
You feel like it’s going to limit you when you narrow down, but when you try to help everyone, you end up getting overlooked. Niching down actually helps you stand out! So, how do you do that?
There are two ways to narrow your focus, and we are going to take a look at both to see which makes the most sense for you.
- Narrow your target audience.
- You’re going to need to get really specific about who exactly you want to help and then tailor your marketing directly to them. The more you use the language that they use for their industry, the more they are going to trust you and feel like you get it. So, what’s one specific industry that you can serve?
- Let’s say that you’re a social media manager. If you can specialize in one industry and create resources and content just for them, imagine the possibilities! Instead of marketing your social media services to all businesses, what would happen if you specialized in social media for a dentist, realtors, or maybe even hair stylists? You may think that this sounds limiting, but I’ve heard of people who have built incredibly profitable businesses by narrowing down to one specific audience.
- Narrow your services.
- If you are having a really hard time narrowing your audience, the good news is there’s another choice. Instead, you can do less for a wider range of people. So for example, focus on one thing that you’re going to become an expert in. Using the same example of the social media manager, instead of handling all of the social media platforms, you focus on Instagram. Then, when someone wants to grow their following on Instagram and learn how to convert those followers into fans, you become the go-to person for that job!
- Narrow down your target audience and services!
- Now, if you’re feeling courageous, you can actually narrow down both! Take time to do some research because depending on the market and demand, you want to make sure there is truly a market and there are enough clients when you narrow down your audience and the services you provide. But, assuming that’s true and there is a market, this can be really powerful!
- See all that Kathryn has to offer at Alyght!
- Join The LIT Ladypreneurs Facebook Group and continue the conversation!
- Connect more with Kathryn on Facebook and Instagram!
Listen + Subscribe on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher!
We’d greatly appreciate a podcast rating and review so that we can reach more ladypreneurs like yourself!
- Search for the podcast in your podcast app (The LIT Ladypreneur Podcast)
- Scroll down and click 5 stars
- Tap “Write a Review” & enter a brief review
- Press send