Episode 041: Hustle NOT Required
I remember the moment I turned in my keys to my office at my 9-5. I was excited to have this freedom and life I’d been working so hard for! It wasn’t until months later that I realized I traded in my 9-5 for a 24/7 and somewhere along the way, I actually thought it was a good thing but it wasn’t and I’m here to talk about how to build a business that lights you up without hustling 24/7.
Here’s the thing, what I envisioned for my future, I wanted so badly that I was sacrificing my life in the present and I realize that it wasn’t necessary! I thought it was just a part of being an entrepreneur but the hustle is NOT required. I still believe you have to work for your dreams but I also believe that the hustle is not required.
What Does The Word Hustle Mean?
You’ve heard this word a lot and you may have heard it as a badge of honor and I really want to dive into the real meaning of hustle and why I am so adamantly against it.
Hustle: (Definition found from google.com)
1. force (someone) to move hurriedly or unceremoniously in a specified direction.
2. INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN obtain by forceful action or persuasion.
When you define hustle as a noun, it means busy movement or activity. I want to talk about the BUSY part. I’m curious, when did “hustle” become a badge of honor? I don’t know about you but I often hear this conversation:
Person 1: “Hey, how are you?”
Person 2: “Busy!”
Person 1: “Oh that’s good! Busy is good right?”
Let me stop you here, busy is not good! Not unless it’s good busy. There are different kinds of busy and “hustle” isn’t good busy. Busy isn’t good if you’re not doing the things that light you up. For you that might include a good portion of work. I’m not here to tell you that there is a magic number of hours you should or shouldn’t work in your business. It’s about how much you want to work in your business.'Being busy and working hard is not my definition of success and in fact, It's not necessary for success.' - Kathryn Binkley #thelitpreneurpodcastClick To Tweet
Your business should support the life you love. You’re probably asking, HOW? Is this really possible and if so how? I have a free video series where I will dive in to talk about this very topic! Sign up with the link below.
In the meantime, here are a few ways to get started!
- Know what is getting results and cut the rest.
- First things first, know what’s working in today’s online marketing and you can make a data-driven decision based on what’s working and what’s not.
- Create efficiency for any repetitive task.
- For all the repetitive tasks in your business, you need systems or automation. This means not rethinking a process but having them written down and knowing exactly how you will handle things.
- Build a team and delegate.
- Imagine if you had even a few more hours each week! You can do that as soon as you get someone on board and up to speed on some roles in your business. Often there is a major objection to that. You may think you don’t have the budget for a team member but I want to challenge you to rethink that mindset. You absolutely can outsource at any level. There are options to outsource whether internationally, online, or even hiring a team member. It’d surprise you how affordable and profitable it can be.
- See all that Kathryn has to offer at Alyght!
- Join The LITpreneurs Facebook Group and continue the conversation!
- Connect more with Kathryn on Facebook and Instagram!
- Book a clarity call with Kathryn.
Listen + Subscribe on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher!
We’d greatly appreciate a podcast rating and review so we can reach more entrepreneurs like you!
- Search for the podcast in your podcast app (The LITpreneur Podcast)
- Scroll down and click 5 stars
- Tap “Write a Review” & enter a brief review
- Press send